Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!
This guest post was written by the super-rad Jes Baker of themilitantbaker.com. In her blog, she preaches the importance of body autonomy, self-love, mental health, strong coffee, and even stronger language.
HALLOWEEN IS RAPIDLY APPROACHING, GUYS!
This inevitably prompted me to list some of my favorite Halloween costumes that I've worn over the years:
- Pippi Longstocking: Complete with a folded wire hanger placed horizontally inside my (spray painted) red braids which stuck out of my head so fiercely that I poked the eyes of almost anyone who was brave (foolish?) enough to stand next to me. I loved being Pippi so much that wore this costume four years in a row.
- A Blue M&M: One of FIVE different colored candies, my entire family wore padded circular costumes that hung over our shoulders with matching straps. I'm pretty sure my Dad was the enormous yellow peanut M&M.
- Britney Spears: I'm not proud of this costume but I did find a pair of cowboy boots that fit perfectly at a thrift store while shopping for the outfit (I still have them) so I'm adding it to the list simply because I haven't found a pair that fits that well in a decade.
- Ursula: With my partner accompanying me as Prince Eric; my makeup so amazing it was impossible to capture in a photo.
This year? I TRIED BEETLEJUICE (Betelgeuse if you must)! Aka the gem of a character that was played by Michael Keaton two years after I was born... but that doesn’t stop me from using an entire can of green hair coloring.
This year, my costume was inspired by two things:
- My newfound love of dressing up as characters while wearing comfortable clothing (y'know... something without wire hangers) and
- Dare Fashion's amazingly versatile clothing line.
Makeup then becomes the fun and creative part while your outfit can play the perfect (and wearable) homage to your favorite character- though I seem to have accidentally put a toe into The Joker territory.
(Note: Check the measurements since some of the pieces - though going up to 5x - run small. I normally wear a 3x and am wearing the leggings in my "normal size" and a 4x in the top - which actually fits fairly loosely so keep in mind that most things come with stretch too!)
It's amazing what you can do with a killer top and some leggings, eh?
Dare Fashion has more suggestions on how to incorporate their line into other amazing costumes: an adorable wildcat, a pirate (super rad) and if I was capable of styling a wig I would have definitely tried their Queen of Hearts look!
I CLEARLY have to know: what was your favorite costume from the past and are you dressing up this year? If so, what/who are you going to be?!?!